West Gate Tunnel Project
We have partnered with the Victorian Government to build the West Gate Tunnel Project, providing a vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge.
The West Gate Tunnel Project includes:
- two additional lanes in each direction on the West Gate Freeway between the M80 Ring Road and Williamstown Road
- ramps between West Gate Freeway and Hyde Street for trucks carrying dangerous goods
- a new tunnel under Yarraville connecting the West Gate Freeway with the Maribyrnong River
- a new bridge over the Maribyrnong River joining an elevated freeway above Footscray Road with connections to the Port of Melbourne at MacKenzie Road and Appleton Dock Road
- major new cycling and walking paths and open space
Together with the Monash Freeway Upgrade and access improvements for Webb Dock, which are being delivered by Transurban together with the West Gate Tunnel Project, will slash congestion right across Melbourne.
Once completed, the West Gate Tunnel Project will:
- create a much-needed alternative to the West Gate Bridge
- reduce peak travel time by up to 20 minutes
- take around 28,000 vehicles off West Gate Bridge and 22,000 vehicles off Bolte Bridge a day
- generate 6,000 new jobs
- remove over 9,000 trucks from local streets
- build over 14 kilometres of walking and cycling paths and nearly 9 hectares of open space
- cut travel time to Port Melbourne
- include road and bridge strengthening to carry heavier loads and support the HPFV network
- provide an $11 billion boost to the Victorian economy
Timing & cost
Planning approvals were granted in December 2017 and construction will start in January 2018 and will open to traffic in 2022.
Transurban is teaming up with CPB Contractors John Holland Joint Venture to deliver this city-shaping project.
The project will be funded through tolls on the West Gate Tunnel Project, changes to the CityLink Concession, including an extension from 2035 to 2045 and a Government contribution.
Works to improve access to Webb Dock are now complete and the Monash Freeway Upgrade is on track to finish in 2018.
For more information visit the West Gate Tunnel Project site.