NeuRA is an internationally recognised leader in brain and nervous system research and has a strong focus on road safety. The NeuRA team is exploring practical injury prevention strategies to prevent and reduce serious injuries and deaths on the road.
Housed at NeuRA’s headquarters in Randwick, the Transurban Road Safety Centre combines world-class research with state-of-the-art facilities. It includes a crash test sled capable of reaching real-life crash speeds and cameras that can record up to 1200 frames per second, allowing researchers to see what occurs in collisions.
During our second three year term, NeuRA is testing road-safety issues including:
- Dynamic testing of child restraint systems in modern, real-world crash conditions
- Motorcyclist safety and motorcycle design
- The effect of seating posture on injury risk for young and older adults and children
- Testing improved features of child restraints to reduce misuse
- Optimising safety for rear seat occupants of all ages
We will report on NeuRA’s findings and recommendations as the research progresses.