Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs) can operate more safely when they leverage data from smart roads, like the 395 Express Lanes.
As a pioneer in transportation innovation, Transurban goes beyond concrete and steel solutions, delivering a first-of-its-kind dynamic pricing structure, operating the longest reversible road in the United States and, most recently, forging the way with a collaboration spanning the public safety and consumer technology sectors.
In fall 2023, Transurban North America and our partners conducted CAV demonstrations on Transurban’s 395 Express Lanes just outside of the nation’s capital.
These CAV demonstrations were delivered in partnership with:
- Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI)
- Crash Avoidance Metrics Partners, LLC (CAMP LLC).
Further, the demonstrations were funded by a $7.5 million grant from the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) to support research into automated driving systems (ADS).
Focused on safety, the demonstrations put a CAV through its paces in a series of on-road scenarios meant to challenge the vehicle and ensure its performance keeps everyone safe, both inside and outside the vehicle. Scenarios included:
- a law enforcement officer providing hand signal around a simulated crash scene
- detecting upcoming hazards out of the line of sight of the CAV through communication with the roadway technology
- navigating safely around first responders and construction workers and work zones
- forming a tight vehicle formation based on real-time speed and distance information from infrastructure increasing road density.
Results from the demonstrations will be released in 2024.