With motor vehicle accidents being the second cause of all hospital admissions for children 14 years and under – it is so important that kids are in the most appropriate, correctly fitted child restraint.
It is equally important that the information parents receive is straightforward and consistent and readily available. That’s why we’ve joined forces with Kidsafe NSW and Vic to support them in delivering tailored car seat safety information to our local community.
These partnerships will be an extension to the great work being done with Kidsafe QLD.
Here are a few simple tips to follow when travelling with kids:
- Always choose, correctly fit, and use the restraint most appropriate for your child’s age and size.
- Use a restraint which has been approved to the Australian Standards.
- Place your child in an appropriate child restraint for every single journey.
- Second-hand restraints should be used with caution. You should be aware of the history of the restraint and be sure that the restraint has all the appropriate fittings. Any restraint that is more than 10 years old should not be used.
- Children are safest when travelling in the rear of the vehicle.
- Do not move your child to the next restraint until they have outgrown it.
As a part of our partnership we will be heading out with the Kidsafe team to deliver car seat safety check ups and community training to help parents make sure their seats are installed safely.