One way Transurban supports communities living near our Northern Virginia express lanes is through our quarterly community grants program. For us, being a good neighbour includes supporting initiatives that aim to deliver environmental, safety and wellbeing benefits for people living along the 95, 395, and 495 express lane corridors.
Our grants program provides funding to groups who, like us, are working to make their communities even better. The grant applications we received this quarter show the many ways Northern Virginians want to make their neighborhoods better for everyone.
Successful applicants for this quarter include:
- Alexandria City Public Schools Bicycles in Schools: teaching third graders in Alexandria, Virginia how to ride a bike safely as a part of their Active Youth Program.
- Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail: maintaining pavement and trimming trees on the mixed-use Mount Vernon Trail in Alexandria and Fairfax County.
- Northern Virginia Project Give Back: distributing food boxes for the Thanksgiving holiday to under-served families throughout Northern Virginia.
- Assistance League of Northern Virginia: meeting the basic needs, such as food and clothing, for children in low-income schools.
- Gunston Elementary School: revitalizing outdoor spaces to encourage outside class gatherings and environmental education.
- 516 Project: supporting greater Fredericksburg residents with home repairs and maintenance, focused on accessibility for people with disabilities.
- Downtown Greens: increasing food literacy and healthy lifestyle choices through outdoor education for Fredericksburg’s children.
- Northern Virginia Family Service: serving diverse communities of clients with essential services such as early childhood education, legal services, and workforce development opportunities.
Transurban is a proud supporter of these and many other programs throughout the region and look forward to being an integral part of positive impact for our neighbors.
Learn more about Transurban’s grant programs at expresslanes.com/about.