West Gate Tunnel
The West Gate Tunnel will be a 17 kilometre road connecting Melbourne’s west with the central city. The tunnel will serve as a vital alternative to the city’s heavily congested West Gate Bridge.
Once completed, this new road, including 6.8 kilometres of tunnel, will improve connections between Melbourne’s west, the city centre, and Melbourne’s major ports.
The West Gate Tunnel project includes:
- 6.8 kilometres of new tunnel between the West Gate Freeway and the Maribyrnong River
- two additional lanes in each direction on the West Gate Freeway between the M80 Ring Road and Williamstown Road
- ramps between the West Gate Freeway and Hyde Street for trucks carrying dangerous goods
- a new bridge over the Maribyrnong River joining an elevated freeway above Footscray Road with connections to the Port of Melbourne, CityLink and city north
- major new cycling and walking paths and open space
We are delivering this project in partnership with the Victorian Government and the CPB Contractors John Holland Joint Venture.
We are working with our contractors to achieve sustainability ratings on the project from the Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia.
Once completed the West Gate Tunnel will:
- reduce peak travel time by up to 20 minutes
- take around 28,000 vehicles off West Gate Bridge, 22,000 vehicles off Bolte Bridge, and remove more than 9,000 trucks from local streets a day
- create 6,000 new jobs
- offer more than 14 kilometres of new cycling and walking paths
- provide close to nine hectares of open space
- deliver stronger roads and bridges to carry heavier loads and support Victoria’s (and Australia’s) high productivity freight network
Timing and cost
This $6.7 billion project will be funded through tolls on the West Gate Tunnel, changes to the CityLink concession, and a Victorian Government contribution.
Planning approvals were granted in December 2017 and construction started in January 2018.
Transurban owns 100 per cent of this road.
See the West Gate Tunnel project site for more information