Suppliers and contractors FAQ

Access and permits

  • What ATW Permits are required to access Transurban assets?

    Work Permits

    In order to access a Transurban asset, contractors / third parties must have the applicable approved ATW Permit, as listed below:


    ATW Permit type


    Access Only Permit


    Construction Work Permit


    Disposal / Demolition Work Permit


    Emergency Work Permit


    Environmental Permit


    Maintenance Work Permit


    Special Event Work Permit


    Traffic Management Permit*

    Access Only Permit

    Contractors / third parties seeking only to access a Transurban asset, but not to perform work for Transurban or its contracting partners, must obtain an Access Only Permit.

    Applications for ATW Permits made through the Authority to Work (ATW) Permit application process. For more information on applying for permits through ATW please click here.

  • Who should apply for the ATW Permit?

    All contractors, principal contractors and principal service providers engaged directly by Transurban are required to apply for an ATW Permit.

  • How do I apply for an ATW Permit?

    For a detailed, step-by-step guide on how to register and submit an ATW Permit application, please refer to the ATW Access and Work Permit Guide (PDF).

  • What information do I need to submit with my ATW permit application?

    In consultation with Transurban, the documentation you may be required to submit as part of the ATW Permit application process is detailed below:



    Applicable Permit Type

    Scope of Work

    A scope of work which highlights all of the essential work to be performed must be entered into the ‘Permit Details’ section.

    All Permit Types

    Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS)

    SWMS are to be submitted for any High Risk Construction Work (HRCW) that may be performed.

    All Permit Types

    Traffic Guidance Schemes (TGS) and/or Traffic Management Plans (TMP)

    A  TMP must be submitted for any Project or Event that may affect traffic on Transurban assets.


    Construction Work Permit

    Maintenance Work Permit

    Traffic Management Permit

    Special Event Work Permit

    Environmental Plan (EMP)

    An EMP describe how an activity might impact on the environment.


    Construction Work Permit

    Disposal / Demolition Work Permit

    Maintenance Work Permit

    Environmental Permit

    Work Health & Safety Management Plan (WHSMP)

    A WHSMP, as a minimum, must address the content requirements of the WHS/OHS Regulations.


    Construction Work Permit

    Disposal / Demolition Work Permit

    Emergency Work Permit

    Maintenance Work Permit

    Program of Work

    The Program of Work sets out all dates for the works including the dates for each task and deliverable.


    Construction Work Permit

    Disposal / Demolition Work Permit

    Environmental Permit

    Maintenance Work Permit

    Special Event Work Permit

    Traffic Management Permit

    Event Management Plan

    Documented inputs, planning and design of event management arrangements required to facilitate an event with consideration of relevant traffic impacts.


    Special Event Work Permit

    Special Events Risk Management Plan

    A plan detailing any risks and control measures to ensure the protection of the event participants, spectators and event personnel from hazards associated with traffic.

    Special Event Work Permit

    Labour Records

    All people accessing Transurban sites and facilities must have an ‘Active Labour Record’.

    Further information about how to create and update Labour Records can be found [see FAQ: How do I put my staff / contractors onto an ATW Permit?]


    Access Only

    Construction Work Permit

    Disposal / Demolition Work Permit

    Environmental Permit

    Maintenance Work Permit

    Traffic Management Permit

  • How do I put my staff / contractors onto an ATW permit?

    Only workers who have an ‘Active’ labour record in the Maximo system may access Transurban sites or facilities under an ATW Permit. In order to create an Active labour record for a worker, the following information must be entered into the ATW System

    1.      Transurban Induction details.

    2.      Photo ID (driver licence or any other form of official identification documentation such as a passport).

    3.      Construction white card.

    Other licences and qualifications relevant to performing work should also be entered with their valid certification uploaded into the Labour Record on the ATW System.

    Qualifications can be added (or updated) by entering the qualification certificate/reference number, the effective date and expiry date (if applicable). If the qualification does not have an expiry date, a nominal expiry date far into the future should be entered.

    The default status for identification, qualifications, and licences entered on the ATW System is ‘awaiting approval’ (WAPPR). This will be changed when the attached evidence of qualifications have been verified to ‘approved’ (APPR).  Once this information has been verified, they will be made ‘ACTIVE’ in the ATW System and the applicant will be able to select them from the labour list on the ATW Permit application. If they are not ‘ACTIVE’, they will not appear on the labour list.

    For further information see the Quick Reference Guide.

  • What do I do when I cannot find my company registered within the ATW System?

    If you cannot find your company listed within Maximo (ATW System), for assistance with searching please send an email to your company contact or Transurban Maximo Helpdesk team at or call (855) 337 5880 (in North America). Alternatively, if you are a new supplier or contractor you will need to register your company within Maximo, please send an email to your company contact or to the Transurban Maximo Helpdesk team at, requesting it to be set up.

    The required information to provide when registering your company includes:

    • Company Name
    • Company ABN / Company Number
    • Road(s) or premises where the work is intended to be undertaken
    • Company address (including Suburb/State/Country)
    • Labour Administrator Details (optional, but this is if you would like to register a person to manage labour centrally)
    • Insurances, expiry dates and value (including Public Liability, Worker’s Compensation and Professional Indemnity)
    • Company representative and their contact details (this can be the same as the Labour Administration above)
    • Other details, including company address, phone numbers, website, etc.
  • My Labour Record has become ‘INACTIVE’ in the ATW System. How do I make it ‘ACTIVE’ again?

    You should check the details of you qualifications in your Labour Record to ensure they have not expired and if necessary, update them. For further information see the Quick Reference Guide.

Transurban Inductions

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Site Safety

  • What is the minimum PPE requirement when accessing or working on Transurban assets?

    Minimum PPE requirements for works within our network must be in accordance with relevant standards and include:

    • High visibility vest or shirt (colour to be assessed based on activity. Transurban’s preferred colour is orange)
    • Steel Cap Safety boots
    • Long pants (dual reflective stripes)
    • Long sleeves
    • Hard hat (to be worn inside any tunnel at all times, and in accordance with areas identified within the SWMS )
    • Safety glasses (to be worn inside any tunnel at all times, and in accordance with areas identified within the SWMS )
    • Gloves (on person)
    • Additional specific PPE requirements  relevant for activities being conducted
    • Compliance with any applicable standards, including, for example, Australian Standard AS/NZS 4602
  • What are the minimum requirements for arrow boards, rotator lights and reversing squawkers on work vehicles accessing a Transurban asset site?

    Work vehicles require to have arrow boards fitted and are to be illuminated during the following scenarios:

    • Where the vehicle forms part of a mobile worksite and are located in close proximity to entry and exit ramps
    • Where the vehicle forms part of a mobile worksite, where the mobile works do not exceed 20 minute
    • Where work vehicle is not buffered by a Truck Mounted Attenuator (TMA).

    Outside of the above scenarios, at a minimum, rotator lights are required on all work vehicles, with 360 degree visibility to light.

    All vehicles within a worksite are required to be fitted with a reversing squawker. The exception to this rule is for standard passenger vehicles accessing a tunnel closure, which have prior approval.

  • How do I access a work or building site at the beginning of each shift?

    Any contractor or third party accessing the Transurban network or building facilities must contact the Traffic Control Room to notify them of their arrival and departure from site.  Access keys, where applicable, are to be obtained from the Traffic Control Room, prior to works commencing and returned once works are complete each day. You will need to provide details at this time, including:

    • Contractor and subcontractor names
    • Contractor and subcontractor company names
    • Onsite contact number
    • UHF radio channel (if required)
    • ATW Permit number and/or Work Order number
    • Traffic Guidance Schemes
    • Location of works
    • Notification of any impacts to Traffic (i.e. lane closure/s, shoulder/ramp closure, no traffic impact);
    • Direction of works
    • Type of works
    • Anticipated completion of works 
  • What do I need to do when leaving the work or building site at the end of each shift?

    The following activities are to be undertaken at the end of each shift:  

    • Keys are required to be signed in and out
    • All access gates are to be locked and secured after entry and departure
    • Corridor access gates are not to be left open – even if working nearby
    • Non-Transurban locks are not to be installed on gates
    • Daisy chaining of locks is not permitted without prior written approval from the Transurban Representative
    • Do not leave equipment, tools or materials unattended at any time
    • Complete ATW permit sign out process
  • Can I leave my equipment on site overnight if I’m returning the following day?

    No, do not leave equipment, tools or materials unattended at any time. 

  • Can I cross live traffic to get off the road?

    No. No person is permitted to cross a live traffic lane at any time without the implementation of an approved traffic control. If your vehicle has broken down, call the Traffic Control Room and remain in your vehicle at all times. The Traffic Control Room will provide the appropriate response, with a focus on your safety at all times.

  • Do I have to conduct a pre-start safety briefing if I’ve already held one at the start of my project?

    Yes. It is a requirement that all contractors undertaking work on the Transurban network conduct a pre-start briefing every day. 

  • What should if there is an emergency whilst I’m carrying out work?

    In the event of an emergency occurring whilst conducting works within the Transurban network, the following process should be followed:

    • Contact the emergency services – Fire/Police/Ambulance – on 000 or 112 if outside mobile coverage area (Australia) or 911 (in North America):
      • Stay calm
      • Answer all questions
      • Give clear details
      • Remain on the phone or two-way unless otherwise instructed
    • Call the Traffic Control Room to advise of current situation and any needs
    • Follow any instructions or directions provided by emergency services
    • Notify your supervisor (or follow your companies procedure)
    • In the event of a spill, ensure the type of liquid/s and quantities are recorded where possible. Some spills may require notification to the Department of Environmental Heritage Protection.
  • Who should I notify if I see an incident?

    For an incident on an asset, you must immediately notify the Traffic Control Room. You are required to report if you observe any of the following events when you are accessing a Transurban asset under an ATW Permit:

    • Safety injury or incident
    • Environmental harm or potential harm incident
    • Spills
    • Traffic queuing or traffic incident
    • Security incident (including evidence of theft or attempted entry)
    • Attendance on site by the media
    • Attendance on site by an authority (e.g. Department of Transport and Main Roads, police, WorkCover, environment department representatives)
    • Presence on site of an unknown party (e.g. pedestrian, other contractor)
    • Unauthorised incursion into a work area (e.g. closed lane) by members of the public (motorists)